Saratoga Stars – A Saratoga Springs Lions Flagship Program
Saratoga Stars brings together physically challenged kids, youth volunteers and members of The Saratoga Springs Lions Club in an inspirational program that helps physically challenged kids to ice skate. The highly successful program now in it’s 18th year, touches the hearts of all the volunteers who participate. Stars offers volunteers the opportunity to see the results of their volunteerism, usually the smiling faces of excited kids.
- The program runs from January through April and is held at one of City’s two public ice skating rinks.
- Kids and volunteer skaters take to the ice 60 minutes one time per week
- The program culminates with a choreographed ice show where kids and their volunteers skate together.
- You do not have to be a Lion to participate. We invite anyone willing to give of their time for an hour or two to show up and strap on a pair of skates.
- The “Stars Program” uses equipment specially designed for the safety of the skaters by Gliding Stars Inc., Buffalo, New York.
The video below is a recap on Saratoga Springs Lions Club Ice Stars. Hear what both volunteers and participants think about this great program.